Thursday, May 5, 2011

Two or Three Things I know for Sure by Dorothy Allison

The Family Bible
These pages (pp. 8-11) sounded very familiar to me.  In one of my classes I, too, was asked to make a family tree.  Unlike Dorothy, I knew this was not going to be an easy task for me.  Just like Dorothy, I needed names of people I am related to.  This was not as easy as it sounded for me either.  When I took out the family album -- you know the one that no one can find – and we did not have a family bible, I showed my mom a picture and then asked her who this person was and I waited a moment.  Then she said “Oh, that’s nobody;” “I can’t remember;” or “Why are you asking these questions?”  It was obvious to me by her sudden body posture and tone that she knew who this person was.  In this picture there is a male with his arm wrapped around my mother’s waist.  Her relaxed body had shifted into a tensed and defensive posture.  Just like Dorothy’s mom, my mother raised her voice and she gave me a familiar look.  I took her sign to mean proceed with caution.  I have to say not one of my best moments with mom.  
I now realize I was trying to open up “Pandora’s Box” and she was telling me as nicely as possible, “You will not open this box today nor will I allow myself to be exposed for your class project.”  In order to diffuse the tense situation I had created, I asked if we could talk about the family members that I do know.  This seemed to settle her down a bit.  Then I began to mention family names of people I know.  I believe Dorothy was trying to do the same thing with her mother.  This began to ease the tension in the room.  
Unfortunately, these names began a friendly debate among the family about deceased members of the family.  Should they still be counted as family.  For Dorothy this was not going to be an easy task, either.  So she collected all her papers and left the room.  She did hear her Aunt Dot saying a “Family Bible” followed by snickering in her voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment